Skip to main content

The Water Diviner - My 2 cents



After a long period of abstinence in Cinemas, I watched this movie last night with some of my CG members. Not for religious purposes, but just an entertainment for some city people.I did not know that ratings was high on IMDb and Rotten Tomatoes, most probably its because of Russell Crowe's first debut as director. Maybe some Australian & Turkish pride in the mix. Honestly speaking, the movie is flawed, in terms of editing, plot, flow of the story. But, the message it is trying to send through, its tickling my brain and thus, I have to write this down.

My 2 cents worth of thoughts:

1) Love of our Father.

John 5: 20 For the Father loves the Son and shows him all he does. Yes, and he will show him even greater works than these, so that you will be amazed.

Russell Crowe searched for his sons after they died in war for 4 years. Much to our dismay, he actually accepted that he is dead. It is the wife who couldn't let go and ask him to read stories from Arabian Nights to 3 empty beds. It was heartbreaking scene. And thus, he begins his journey to look for his son's bones in Turkey. 

During the journey, he easily found the bones of the 2 younger sons (Ed & Henry), which puzzles me how on earth did he do that??! Because the eldest son's guilt for killing his brother to end his pain, he is afraid to go back home to his parents. And his father knows that, and never give up to search for him.Which reminds me of this verse:

Mark 2:17 " It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners"


2) No one wins a war

In the movie, we were told 10k ANZAC troops died in Galipoli. And thus, there was hostility between the Turks and the British/ANZAC army. But after that, they were told that 70k of Turks has died in that same war. Almost immediately, it felt cold. That is the true facade of warfare. 

Despite the political motives about war, which the movie did not explore,; young people, like Russell Crowe's demised sons as well as the teenager that the Major Hassan asked to take his binoculars in his compartment (I suspect it was intentional to keep the young boy away from war), losing their lives for the greater purpose. Which many at times, they do not know about. 

As war continues to erupt in the modern era, the same thing happens again and again. Parents and children are displaced, the civilians suffers, family and friends lost in war. What's the reason for war then? But due to human nature, we greed over stuffs. Land, minerals, ideology, people. What ever that was given to us is never enough. I guess humans race are doomed after all. 

3) Interfaith tolerance

It was the Turks that helped Russell Crowe finds his sons. Despite having different beliefs, God brings us all together. The scene when he dreamt about His son, with the dervish whirl dancers, it resonates so much in me that I keep talking about it. More so when he woke up to Azan (Muslim early prayers).

The dervish whirl is part of a ritual of Sufi to reach a 'spiritual ecstasy'. It was believed that once they reach that state of high, they will be able to see God, or be nearer to God. Arthur (Russell Crowe's son) was seen whirling together with the dancers. To me, it feels like he is still trying to seek God. even though he felt the guilt of sin. He was  even painting the abandoned church when he was found. 

Different faith, but it does not stop us from wanting to be near to God. Waiting for the day to return to Him.This hold a strong message of tolerance, which unfortunately our country doesn't have. We are more intrigued by the ISIS war in Syria & Iraq, to kill in the name of God. But we chose to ignore the part where God wants us to love each other as we are all His creation. 

So, that's my thoughts about the movie. Heart warming, full of messages, but it does seems that its trying too hard to please everyone. Nevertheless, good solid movie, worth watching and worth pondering. 

Happy Saturday peeps!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Disabled again..

Today.. is another sad day for me. They just disabled "e-messenger", which ended my pleasure of keeping in touch with friends lately. Sigh.. exactly 14 more days, and I'll be out. Just have to be patient. Had a long talk with my boss. Many things that we've talked through and I appreciate his acceptance over my rather harsh comment. We're more like friends now, rather than him being my boss, or me being his subordinate. Frankly, it's been a long 5 1/2 half months. Unhappy i may seem, but i do learn alot while working here. Strangely, i think i might even missed this place..

Crossroads

Life is about choices.. Choices about how you want to run your life, what principles that you hold, what career you are heading in the future. Perhaps, now is a time where tough choices are ahead for me. Both family and friends have their own saying about what is the best. So, what's the best for me? I'm easily influenced by persuasion, and i usually give in easily. Sometimes ever so reluctantly, i followed what people asked or wanted me to do. I do not have much consideration of what I want in the first place. For this, I've been wasting more than a year now, which could easily turned out to be an interesting year for me to proceed to my dreams. A year of frustration, a year of uncertainty, and a year of lost chances. The 6 months in Melaka wasn't the best in my life. Some might say it's just a short period in your life. But in reality, I've lost alot of chances in this 6 months time. Work, study, career, even my relationship. Every person in my life has their

Liars in Training

I was really surprised how young kids at the age of 7 & 8 lied and giving excuses for not handing in their homework. 3 kids today gave me unreasonable and of course unbelievable excuses. Case 1: "I have the book. But when i went to buy drinks in the canteen, someone took my book from my bag. After I go back home to finished the exercise, I couldn't find it.... even my Mum couldn't find it. Really!" "emm hm....?" "But just now, when i reached the class, I found the book in my bag. I dunno how it get there, but i'm really sure that it wasn't there yesterday. Really.." "so...?" "Erm... that's why i didn't finish the exercise, cause it's just not enough time for me to finished it." she said with the sweetest smile u can ever imagine. " Can I call your mum now?" In the shortest moment, the cute little girl burst into tears. There goes the far from perfect lie.. Case 2: " My mum brought me to